Thursday, August 18, 2011

What's thin and comes in a box? No, not Michael Jackson - PIZZA!


In Phoenix, there is Pizzeria Bianco - voted a couple of years ago as the best pizza in America. New York was pissed - then they just dismissed it. I'm sure the Pizza Nazi is not too concerned.

Last week The Parlor in Phoenix was voted as having the best pizza in America. I've been to Famous Rays, Grimaldis, Totono's, Lombardis, Piece (Chicago), Giardanos (Chicago), Pizzeria Uno (Chicago) and Imos (St. Louis). I've been to Spagos (Wolfgang Puck) and Pepe's in New Haven (Clam Pizza). One of my favorites of all time is Houston Pizza in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. Their all dressed is unbeleivable greek style pizza.....

There are 7 distinct varieties of pizza in the US:

1. New York Thin (must be foled in half to eat. Use a fork and die)
2. Chicago Deep Dish (a ten pound carbo bomb 4 inches thick)
3. California Style (variety of creative non traditional toppings)
4. New Haven Style (thin crust, simple toppings of cheese, sauce and garlic)
5. Greek Style (thick and spicy and oily and cut into squares. Cinnamon in the sauce...)
6. St. Louis Style (very very thin cracker type crust that isn't raised)
7. Detroit Style (sauce on top of the toppings, thinner crust like New York)

What is your favorite? What is your favorite place? Favorite toppings? Is your homemade the best ever? BTW - my wife made the pizza in the picture. I am indeed a lucky man!

I need some new places to visit when I get the "eye for pie". And don't vote for the freezer section over at the supermarket! Let the games begin.....



2 comments:

  1. Florencia's margherita pizza is better than Bianco I think. Their 'Bravo' pizza is really good - chevre, sausage & fennel. Vero Amore in Tucson is really good, probably the best I've had in AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vero Amore was really good - Florencia level good. I have to reset my expectations as I ahven't had Bianco or Parlor in a year or two. That Spinato's is pretty good too. Have you tried the new Grimaldi's location yet? I've had it in New York and Queen Creek (now there is a dichotomy!) but need to refresh as well.

    ReplyDelete