Monday, May 21, 2012

Why Electric Cars Suck - a Historical Perspective

Michael Twaite , a proponent of electric vehicles in a blog from last year tried to explain why owning an electric car would be sheer bliss. Of course KC refutes his arguments in the cold, harsh glare of reality....

Torque: the revenge of the muscle car

Yes torque is the low end grunt that gets things moving - it is also the reason that unless you have multiple gear transmissions like big rigs you can't use the torque at speed, and therefore all that torque is the electric car's worst enemy - manifesting itself in ridiculously low operating ranges. Big vehicles like semis need torque to get moving, and have a 16 gear transmission to make it all work. An Indy racer has no torque at all, and relies on horsepower and high RPM to keep it going at speed. Different purposes, different engineering. However, simple physics tells us that big torque, small vehicle is a bad idea - especially if you are concerned with range.

 Clean garage

 He proposes that garages  fill up with noxious fumes from internal combustion engines. So I have come up with a number of solutions. First, I open the door, second, I leave. He says Tesla garages have art on the wall, so the cars must run clean. I have 1600 horsepower in my garage, AND I have art on my wall. Pinups of Shania Twain. Hey, it's art to me. 

Always full

Mike says he starts the day with a full tank of electrons after plugging in all night. Ah the joy of electrics. If I have half a tank of gas, I can still make it to work and back. 25 times. If he has 1/2 tank of power, he might not make it at all. And he might not make it back. I can always tow him...

Very smooth

Mike says "There’s no clutch, no gear change, and no auto-transmission torque-converter-drag nonsense. Setting off in slow traffic is all about resting your foot on the accelerator. Just like those big electric trains, you look out of the window and think, “Oh, we’re moving.

I'm not sure on this one. I'm a driver, not an operator. I like to feel the response of the engine and the gears, my luxury vehicle is smooth as glass, my race cars are, well, not.

Waiting with heat and air

The heating and cooling in my car runs any time I like. Just like the HVAC at home, it doesn’t need an engine to make it go.

 Ya got me here Mike - your car can run the air conditioner for a few minutes without having the engine on? Then you push the car home. Which is a sweatier activity? I looked at my power bill, and guess what, my HVAC at home has an engine, a large, expensive motor. Yours does too.

 Maintenance, Lack of

Annual service... “One, two, er, three, four. OK, sir, they’re all still attached and they all have plenty of tread left. Be on your way then.” Yes, that’s pretty much it. Once a year the Tesla Roadster (or any EV) should be checked over. Tesla will even come to your house to do that.

Ummm - after 7 years the batteries in the electric car die. Your car is dead. It is the equivalent of your 486 computer, and will have the same value. Push it off a cliff and go by a new one. Tesla may have to come out to your house to do it? Given the Consumer Reports testing problems and various other bricking issues, you may have to have them come out to your house. To check on your 120,000$ paper weight.

Cold weather warmup

It’s early morning and it’s minus something-or-other outside. I back the car out of the garage, turn it around, and warm air is already puffing out of the vents.
 
Just like a regular internal combustion vehicle? Except I don't need heat because I am wearing clothes most of the time.

They aren't bothered by the cold

‘Crank, crank crank, put, put, put, dag.... dag.... dag, dag, dag, dag, dag, dag, dag....” We’ve all had an old car at some point in our lives; it’s a rite of passage.

Most well maintained vehicles will start overnight just fine at -20 weather with no issues at all. The only thing that affects starting power is - wait for it - cold batteries. Not cold engines.

Battery life measured in cranking amps is severely reduced in cold weather. Wonder if that affects vehicle range?

Silence

My house sits between a pair owned by petrol-heads. Ironic right? On one side, a neighbor has the venerable Ford GT. On the other, he has enough old school American iron to open a museum. On a Sunday morning my ears ring to the sound of rumbling exhausts and my nose reels to the stench of half burnt gasoline. The sound of a gas engine has all the charisma of a bunch of sweaty carpenters nailing up an outhouse. It doesn’t compare to the ‘Ooos’ and ‘Aaahs’ of spectators as the electric car whispers past. It’s just...noise.

Yes, chicks dig Priuses.  Nuff said.

They were good in 1910 and they’re still good today

At the turn of the century, in answer to the horrific problem caused by inner-city transportation, electric cars were introduced as a cheap, quiet, non-polluting alternative to replace the horse. I expect you know I mean the turn of the 20th century, right, not this last one?

Ummm, gasoline powered vehicles were introduced to address the problems of horse pollution. Electric vehicles were a novelty that passed. Quickly. And 100 years later - they still don't work. In fact, a horse STILL has a greater daily range than an electric car.

Take another run at the problem - we'll give ya another 100 years or so.


11 comments:

  1. Don't think I'll be getting an electric car soon...the horse might be better. Love your comment about keeping the garage clean---that's kinda the man cave around here, but if it was mine, there would be MY kind of art on the wall---plenty of Johnny Depp---enough to start my engine any time!!! Hey, I might be menopausal but I can still dream, right???

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are very very ignorant sir. EV will catch on the only problem is a good battery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you send me $41,000 in cash I will send you a good battery. And the horse you will need to pull your EV through the streets of Calcutta.

      Delete
  3. I agree. All this EV garbage needs to stop. There's nothing like the sound of firing up a big v8 and shifting your own gears down the road. If people want a "green" car (disposal of all those batteries, anyone?) let them have it but I'll keep on driving gasoline powered engines

    ReplyDelete
  4. God - the first intelligent comment I've had on the subject. These greenie weenies are so wedded to the IDEA of electric cars that they can't get through the impracticality. In 1912 a horse could go 50 miles in a day. 100 years later, electric car has the same range. Technology? I'd say fantasy. With a whole lot less lingerie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would simply say to you all “awesome information”
    Electric Car

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I love it. I am a gearhead too and I would like to see electric cars come into their own, but frankly they aint there yet. The batteries are there now but the rare Earth materials, high costs, and dangers are there too. Also, people are sitting on patents in battery technology which ironically is killing their own business opportunity. That is why crooks like Al Gore are trying to use legislation to make you buy their product, who needs marketing? To all the greenies, hey I have no issue with you and I would be glad to park an electric next to my big block Camaro but not for 40k and the host of other issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Electric cars only last so much.....& DIE! Waste of money!

    When you crash it or have a problem....OH OH! Must buy a new one!


    Anyways MORE GASOLINE FOR ME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is right thing, that sometime when a problem occur in your electric vehicle, so you have to buy a new one. It will provide you an efficiency but do not invest more money in it.

      Lone Mountain Truck Leasing

      Delete
  8. Indeed - if it was economically viable and desired by the market - the car manufacturers would be building em by the thousands. The most popular vehicle in America? For the past 50 years it has been the Ford F-150. They sell more Ford f-150s in a day than the entire electric industry does in a year. The market has spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gas cars RUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEE!!!!! get that in your thick skulls you stupid tree huggers

    ReplyDelete